I LOVE HALLOWEEN. LOVE IT. I love to dress up. One thing I don’t love, however, is spending a lot of money on a costume. Here’s a scary fact – according to International Business Times the average American spends $80 a year on their Halloween costume. AHH! Why spend that much on a store-bought costume when you could make your own for a lot less?
Here are 10 Halloween costume ideas that all cost less than $5. I even tested them out to be sure I could make them myself and that they would stay on budget.
- 3-Hole Punch – “Cause you can have me either way. Plain White Jim, or Three-Hole Punch.” All fans of the Office have considered this costume at least once, I think. And it was super easy. I just cut out three circles from black construction paper, got a little scotch tape, and viola.
- Muggle – FYI for you non-wizards, a muggle is a non-magical person in Harry Potter terms. This is the easiest costume of all time. You just wear you normal clothes. It’s also 100% free, which makes it even better. The only downside is that you have to be “that person” at the party who makes Harry Potter jokes the whole time. I’m always that person though so . . .
- Identity Thief- The only difficult part of this costume was coming up with all the names. Other than that it was super easy. I already had the “Hello, my name is” stickers, but if you didn’t you could pick up a package at Staples or anywhere that sells office supplies for $4.99. You could even print them on regular paper and attach them with tape if you didn’t want to spring for the labels. Then stick ’em all over yourself and you’re ready to go!
- Sunny-side Up Egg – I actually hate eggs in real life, but I love this costume. All I did was cut out a big yellow circle of construction paper, tape it to my shirt, and carry around the knife and fork. I’m realizing now that quite a few of these costumes involved construction paper which I already have a lot of because I’m super into arts and crafts. But if you didn’t you could pick some up at the grocery store for about $4.
- Damien from Mean Girls – Bonus points for shouting out as many quotes from the movie as possible while wearing the costume. Anyone with a sweatshirt and sunglasses can do this one. And everyone loves Means Girls so you’ll probably be super popular. So fetch.
- Error 404 – Costume Not Found. Not to get all mathematical on you, but one piece of paper = $0.017 and the ink for one page = $0.035. So total this costume cost me $0.052. Talk about a bargain.
- Smartie Pants – Something I learned during this whole process is that usually the worst puns make the best costumes. You can buy a bag of Smarties for just $1.99. Plus you get to eat them when you’re done. If other people don’t steal them off your pants and eat them first, that is.
- God’s Gift to Men/Women – I think you need to bring a little more confidence to this costume than I did to really pull it off, but you get the idea. If you don’t have a few ribbons or bows laying around for wrapping gifts you can buy them for $2.99 and then reuse them at Christmas!
Hope your Halloween is both fun and thrifty. Happy Haunting!