My 2014 New Year’s Resolution is to read more. To be specific, I want to try to read 1 book every 2 weeks. That’s 26 books in a year.
I obviously read a lot in college, because I was an English major and I had to. I think I was lucky because instead of textbooks I got to read novels for my classes, but I still always had a long list of books I would read if I had more free time. But now that I’m a real adult, there’s not as much time for reading as I thought there’d be. Maybe because I mostly use my free time for working out, crafting, or watching Netflix but that is not the point! There’s a whole world full of books out there and I am determined to read them.
Before I start on my reading journey, I think it will help if I have a schedule of what book I will read and when. Here’s a start to my to-read list; its a few books that have been recommended to me, a few I saw online in a “101 Books to Read Before You Die” thing (AH! No pressure or anything), and a few that I only read part of/pretended to read in college and now want to actually read. They are:
– Ulysses by James Joyce
– Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
– Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
– The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood
– Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh
– Midnight’s Children by Salman Rushdie
– Woman in White by Wilkie Collins
– Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut
– The Canterbury Tales by Chaucer
– Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk
– I Wish Someone Were Waiting for Me Somewhere by Anna Gavalda
– The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon
– One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest by Ken Kesey
– B***h: In Praise of Difficult Women by Elizabeth Wurtzel (Note: I censored the first word in this title.)
– The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
– The Complete Stories of Flannery O’Connor
– Divergent by Veronica Roth
But that’s only 17 books. So I need 9 more. If you have any recommendations, please let me know! Leave a title or two in the comment area.
Before January 1st, 2014 I will give you a final list and then I will periodically update you throughout the year on how I’m doing. Maybe do a little book review here and there. Thanks and Happy Holidays!