Some people call them Muddy Buddies, some call them Puppy Chow, but whatever the name, this dessert is one of my all time favorites! Sweet, crunchy, and chocolatey all at once – what more could you ask for?! These are a fall favorite of mine because I like to give them out in little bags as Halloween treats but they are delicious at any time of year. Bonus: the ingredients are inexpensive and they’re super easy to make (even I can do it). Here’s the recipe I usually follow:
9 cups of Chex Cereal
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup of peanut butter
1/4 cup of butter
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1. Mix chocolate, peanut butter, butter, and vanilla extract together in bowl and heat until melted (I prefer to hold the bowl over boiling water so the chocolate melts smoother but you can also use the microwave).
2. Pour Chex into separate bowl.
3. Pour chocolate mix over the Chex while stirring so that the chocolate coats the cereal evenly.
4. Pour chex in large plastic bag.
5. Add powdered sugar to bag and shake so it coats the cereal evenly.
6. Pour chex back into bowl and put in fridge to cool.
7. ENJOY! Note: it is acceptable to eat so many Muddy Buddies that your fingers are coated in powdered sugar – at least it is in my book!
Occasionally I mix it up and use Nutella instead of peanut butter (especially good if you have friends who are allergic to PB); it works just as well and tastes delicious! Or if you want to be “healthier” you can use whole wheat Chex. For even more Muddy Buddy options, check out this great blog that has 25 different versions: http://www.sixsistersstuff.com/2013/05/25-muddy-buddy-recipes.html .
Hope you all have a fun, happy, fall weekend!